LONGVIEW, Texas – Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team took advantage of a clutch performance in doubles action that propelled them to a 5-1 win over East Texas Baptist in the first round of the ASC Championship on Thursday morning in Longview.
Alex Hunt and Nathaniel Schoendorf cruised to an 8-4 win at No. 1. Griffin Weinkam and Holt Fields rallied to win 9-7 at No. 2 doubles. Then the freshman duo of Chris Beavers and Josh Lopez won a tiebreaker to take No. 3 doubles, 9-8 and give the Cowboys a 3-0 team lead heading into singles action.
Weinkam made quick work of Andrew Deutsch at No. 3 singles in a 6-1, 6-1 win that pushed the lead to 4-0. John Herr won at No. 2 singles for ETBU over Schoendorf.
Alex Hunt then put the match away as he won a second-set tiebreak after rallying from a break down to win 6-2, 7-6 (10-8) to clinch the match.
The other three matches were not finished but Keenan Nash was a game away from a win at No. 6 singles, Holt Fields was tied in the second set and had won the first set. Josh Lopez was down a set and a break at No. 5 singles.
The Cowboys are now 9-8 on the year and ETBU fell to 7-9 on the season. HSU will play Concordia in the semifinals on Friday at 10:30 a.m. Concordia won a close match two weeks ago between the two teams, 6-3.
Hardin-Simmons 5, East Texas Baptist 1
1. Alex Hunt (HSU) def. Joseph Salinas (ETBU) 6-2, 7-6 (10-8)
2. John Herr (ETBU) def. Nathaniel Schoendorf (HSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Griffin Weinkam (HSU) def. Andrew Deutsch (ETBU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tyler Howard (ETBU) vs. Holt Fields (HSU) 3-6, 5-5, unfinished
5. Ty Tarver (ETBU) vs. Joshua Lopez (HSU) 7-5, 5-2, unfinished
6. Adam Morris (ETBU) vs. Keenan Nash (HSU) 3-6, 1-5, unfinished
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---