RICHARDSON, Texas – Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team advanced to the American Southwest Conference semifinals with a 5-0 win over the University of the Ozarks on Thursday.
HSU opened the play this morning at UT Dallas and Alex Hunt and Chandler Livingston won 8-6 at No. 2 doubles and Ben Gutierrez and Griffin Weinkam won 8-2 at No. 3 doubles. Jordan Davis and Holt Fields were tied at 7-7 when the rains hit the courts forcing the match indoors.
The teams had to wait until 12:30 to play at Lifetime Fitness in Plano. When the match resumed, Fields and Davis won at No. 1 doubles, 9-7, to give HSU a 3-0 lead.
All of the matches are played only until completion in the ASC tournament, meaning once the winning point is scored, the rest of the matches still being played are not finished.
Weinkam rolled 6-2, 6-0 over Spencer Turner at No. 2 singles and Fields won 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 at No. 3 singles to end the match. Alex Hunt and Keenan Nash were both winning their matches and Jordan Davis and Kwade Boyd never had to start their matches.
The Cowboys are now 7-12 on the year and Ozarks closes its season at 8-11. HSU will play in the ASC semifinals on Friday at 10:30 against the winner of UT-Tyler and Concordia.
Hardin-Simmons 5, Ozarks 0
1. Alex Hunt (HSU) vs. Melle Van Duijn, 6-2, 4-6, 4-0, unfinished
2. Griffin Weinkam (HSU) def. Spencer Turner, 6-2, 6-0
3. Holt Fields (HSU) def. Cole Lankford, 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
4. Keenan Nash (HSU) vs. Reid Birch, 6-4, unfinished
5. Jordan Davis (HSU) vs. Alex Torbey, 0-0, unfinished
6. Kwade Boyd (HSU) vs. Bryce Johnson, 0-0, unfinished
--- www.hsuathletics.com ---