BROWNWOOD, Texas – Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team swept Howard Payne 9-0 to stay undefeated in American Southwest Conference West Division action on Wednesday evening in Brownwood.
The win sets up a winner-take-all match with Mary Hardin-Baylor on Friday at 1 p.m. in Belton. The Cowboys will warm up for that showdown with a match at Abilene Christian on Thursday at 3 p.m.
HSU dropped only one game in the three doubles matches to cruise to a 3-0 lead. HSU won in straight sets in all six singles matches.
The Cowboys improved to 4-10 overall and 3-0 in ASC action. HPU closes the season with an 0-10 record and a 0-4 mark in ASC play.
Hardin-Simmons 9, Howard Payne 0
1. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Edgar Torres, 6-1, 6-1
2. Ben Gutierrez (HSU) def. Drew Lambert, 6-4, 6-0
3. Frankie Sanchez (HSU) def. Marshall McIntosh, 6-0, 6-2
4. B.J. Farmakis (HSU) def. Mitchell Sostarich, 6-1, 6-1
5. Jordan Wilson (HSU) def. Lane Tyson, 6-2, 6-3
6. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Tyler Goodwin, 6-1, 2-0, retired
1. Andrew Eurek/Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Edgar Torres/Drew Lambert, 8-1
2. Jordan Wilson/Frankie Sanchez (HSU) def. Marshall McIntosh/Mitchell Sostarich, 8-0
3. Chandler Livingston/B.J. Farmakis (HSU) def. Lane Tyson/Tyler Goodwin, 8-0