ABILENE, Texas – Hardin-Simmons' men's tennis team won four of six singles matches to rally for a 5-4 win over Texas Lutheran on Friday evening at the Streich Tennis Center.
It forced the Cowboys to win four singles matches to take the victory. Nathan Chavez, Ben Gutierrez and B.J. Farmakis each won in straight sets at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3. Texas Lutheran won at No. 4 and No. 6 singles to tie the match at 4-4.
Andrew Eurek was the last Cowboy on the court and he won in a first set tiebreaker before falling 3-6 in the second set. He then won 7-5 over Greg Nelson in the third set to clinch the match for the Cowboys.
HSU is now 1-2 on the season and TLU fell to 2-4. HSU will play a pair of matches on Saturday, hosting Texas-Tyler at 9:30 a.m. and Schreiner at 2 p.m.
Hardin-Simmons 5, Texas Lutheran 4
1. Nathan Chavez (HSU) def. Gunner Robison, 6-2, 7-5
2. Ben Gutierrez (HSU) def. Sanio Dizdarevic, 7-5, 6-2
3. B.J. Farmakis (HSU) def. Cliff Pack, 6-2, 6-4
4. Ryan Beene (TLU) def. Jordan Wilson, 7-5, 6-2
5. Andrew Eurek (HSU) def. Greg Nelson, 7-6 (7-3), 3-6, 7-5
6. Eric Beckenbach (TLU) def. Chandler Livingston, 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Dizdarevic/Pack (TLU) def. Chavez/Eurek, 8-6
2. Beckenbach/Dillenbeck (TLU) def. Farmakis/Wilson, 8-3
3. Frankie Sanchez/Livingston (HSU) def. Nelson/Gunner Robison, 9-8 (7-4)